Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Homeless Banana

Wow!  Sorry that it has been such a long time since we last spoke.  I've been experimenting with feeding myself something other than tuna from a can, quinoa and frozen vegetables.

I hate to admit some bad nutrition, but that's what happens when you get busy doing other things and then you realize you're hungry.  And I don't mean hungry in the way of "you know, I think food might be a good idea in the near future" sort of way, but the "wow, my stomach is digesting itself slowly" sort of way.  Yeah, that happens a lot.  Tuna, bread and vegetables are a pretty quick fix.  Then I eat strawberries and am extremely pleased!

Anyway, getting back to the baking business.  Wouldn't you know that I got off-handed someone's banana recently.  It wasn't even really at the edible point.  I'm a full supporter of all bananas spotted brown like giraffes, but tiger streaking?  That's a tad too ripe, even for me.

So what to do with this banana that no one wants?

Well, one banana does not a great loaf of banana bread make.  And I know that bananas can replace oils sometimes in recipes I've learned.  Where do you go with one over-ripe banana that needs a purpose other than to line the rubbish bin?

I decided to make cookies.  Chocolate ginger cookies.  After a lot of browsing on the internet - what *can't* you find on the web, seriously? - I came across Anja's Food 4 Thought recipe for 'Crispy Ginger Chocolate Cookies'.  I scrapped the olive oil and replaced it with the banana.  It came out to what appeared to be a little over a third of a cup.  I wouldn't say heaping, but it wasn't a third of a cup flat.

I think they came out okay.  I find them pretty tasty and will try to post back with an update.  I have to have more opinions; my opinion just doesn't cut it in my kitchen.  Then again, I'm the girl who eats tuna from the can and frozen vegetables.  By no means do I think my palette is sophisticated!

If you have a banana kicking about that needs a use other than the rubbish bin, maybe give this one a try sometime.

Oh!  I should probably also mention that I put these babies in a container after they were all cooled off and they didn't stay crispy.  I'm mentioning this because I don't want you to get upset if it happens to you.  I get extremely upset when this happens to me... ^__^;;;



Crispy Ginger Chocolate Banana Cookies
Adapted from Anja over at Anja's Food 4 Thought (<- Click for original recipe!)
So not really thin and crispy but more like chewy and puffy.  These cookies puffed right up given that I used banana and no oil.  I have seen crispiness increase when using oil when making pizzelle as well.  It happens.

What You'll Need:

  • 1 1/8 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 medium banana
  • 1 egg

How It's Done:

  1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
  2. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, ground ginger and cocoa powder.  Whisk until it is evenly distributed in colour and consistency.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar and banana.  Beat the sugar and banana until it is creamy; it likely won't get too fluffy because there is a lot of moisture in the banana.
  4. Add the egg to the sugar-nana mixture and beat until fully mixed.
  5. Stir in the dry ingredients until well mixed.
  6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop the dough by teaspoon full onto the sheet.
  7. Pop the tray in the oven for 12 minutes and pull them out when they are domed and slightly dark on the bottom.
  8. Let them cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transfering them to a wire rack to cook completely.


Makes about 22 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment